BY Claudio E. Cabrera
I grew up on one ‘side’ of Inwood. The side now called ‘East of Broadway’ since the real estate agents took over and coined it that.
In the last few years, Inwood has been gentrified. It has brought new residents of all colors (by the way, White people don’t own the word gentrification. Latinos, Blacks, or Asians can gentrify a hood too) who care about the neighborhood and others who sometimes wish they had a little bit more.
As I’ve lived ‘East of Broadway’ all my life and spend most of my time here, I figured, as it’s the holiday season, I’d write what wishes the neighborhood residents who are both old and new to these parts have. The wishes I’ve heard at networking events, board meetings, barbershops, salons, restaurants, and online boards in this past year.
These wishes do not reflect my views one bit. This is what I’ve heard. Some I agree with and some I just shake my motherf***** head at.
The Newbie’s (mostly Whites with some Latinos and Blacks sprinkled in).
1. A Starbucks and Trader Joe’s
2. More police
3. A ‘real’ movie theater and not the one on 181st
4. Less noise
5. Less clubs
6. Less fattening restaurants and more healthy ones
7. Friendlier Dominicans
8. More Post Offices with employees that actually want to work
The OG’s (The people who have been here since birth; mostly Dominicans and a sprinkle of African-Americans)
1. Less newcomers
2. Cheaper rent
3. More post offices with employees that want to work and more Spanish speaking employees.
4. Affordable restaurants
5. Less crime
6. Less noise
7. Less drugs
8. For people to stop trying to change ‘our’ neighborhood